NOTE: We only have UNDRILLED handles available to ship at the moment. We are anticipating for the Pre-Drillled handles to be available by the end of February.
Try your hand at making your own custom pipe tomahawk with this Pipe Tomahawk Kit for Beginners.
Making your tomahawk is not that hard. There are a lot of tomahawk enthusiasts who wants to try making their own tomahawk because some of the designs that they want is not readily available. If you want your very own custom tomahawk, you can check our tomahawk resources for some tips.
Hatchets and Axes now have an available product that will give you the chance to create a tomahawk according to your preference. If you are up for the challenge of making your very own custom pipe tomahawk buying this kit will be helpful. You will surely enjoy creating a customized decorative tomahawk!
This special kit includes a steel tomahawk head, a pre-shaped & drilled curly maple handle (available in two sizes) and a 38 page booklet titled "Instructions & Hints for Assembly Pipe Tomahawks."
- Pipe Tomahawk Head (Available in various sizes & shapes)
- Available in 18" or 22" Drilled Curly Maple Handle
- Handle Material: Premium Curly Maple
- PHandle is Pre-drilled
- "Instruction & Hints for Assembly of Pipe Tomahawks" - 38 page booklet
1. Selecting the Right Tomahawk Head
IMPORTANT: Faceted Bowl Pipe Tomahawk Head: The bowl on this peace pipe tomahawk head IS formed. This tomahawk head IS pre-drilled including the smoke hole. English Pattern Pipe Tomahawk Head: The bowl on this peace pipe tomahawk head IS formed, however, this particular peace pipe tomahawk head smoke hole does not come pre-drilled and will require drilling for full peace pipe functionality.
2. Selecting the Right Steel GradeYou have your choice of three different grades of carbon steel: 8620 steel: 20% Carbon - considered mild steel - will heat treat but not meant for heavy work. Use this steel if your tomahawk will be mostly display and very light use. Will file and engrave easily. 4140 steel: 40% Carbon - considered a tool steel - will heat treat very well and be tough and hold an edge. Use this steel if your tomahawk will be used around the camp or on the trail. Could have some "hard spots" in the steel to make filing and engraving difficult without annealing. 6150 steel: 50% Carbon- considered a tool steel - will heat treat very well and be tough and hold an edge. This steel can become very hard (critical) during heat treating so take extra care during the temper. Use this steel for anything. Will have some "hard spots" in the steel to make filing and engraving difficult without annealing.
3. Selecting the Right Size Handle
About Our Premium Grade Curly Maple HandlesThe premium maple handles can be graded on a 4 point premium scale. The higher the number the better the quality of the handle. Our premium curly maple handles are a 3 out of 4 on this scale. *Note: These tomahawk heads are rough castings. This means that if you are looking for a tomahawk head for throwing or other uses then you must temper, heat treat, polish and sharpen the head yourself. If you are looking for a decorative head only, then you do not need to temper (heat treat) the head. Please see our in-depth how to article on how to heat treat your tomahawk/axe head.
Size & Length
Recommended Hawks (by SKU)
12 & Under
Teens & Women
Medium Hawks (18"-19")
Large Hawks (19")
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
Better than expected, casting was very clean and haft is well made. Booklet was fun with a few good tips